Tuesday 26 July 2011

Daylesford: It’s Love

Anyone who works in an office will be familiar with the euphoria as lunchtime nears. The mood lightens and the morning’s misgivings give way to more peaceable and contented thoughts. But the joy is tinged with anguish about what to eat, and where. As the clock strikes one, the grim prospect of the queue at Pret a Manger beckons.

For months my colleague Eliza has urged me to try the soup at Daylesford Organic. Reluctant to abandon my long-standing and happy relationship with Waitrose’s Caesar salad, a fixation that lasted six months, I kept finding excuses. That was until last Tuesday, when I threw caution to the wind.

Reader, I’m addicted. For five straight days lunch has consisted of cool pea and mint soup with a salmon sandwich of pumpernickel bread. They’re embarrassingly generous with the salmon and the bread is all one could wish bread to be.

I know it’s early days, but the sterile stench and yelping staff of Pret are a distant memory.


The pea and mint soup is served with a wooden spoon


The salmon sandwich is made with pumpernickel bread


No comments:

Post a Comment